Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Atlanta to Tampa Trek

On Sunday, my brother and I made our trek back to Florida. I call it a trek because it became one by virtue of my car not having air conditioning. Yes, you read that right. Here in the South, I didn't have AC in my vehicle for over 2 months. Summer became sticky, sweaty and well, mostly spent inside with errands consolidated. It quickly reminded me of my childhood summers in Taiwan, where AC is a luxury, only to be turned on when the heat and humidity is unbearable or one is trying to get some rest with an afternoon nap. If only I could have strapped a window unit into my car.

With temperatures in the high 90's for the last month or so and my car thermometer seemingly happy to report that asphalt can hit over 100 when baking in the sun, we were faced with perhaps the hottest and most uncomfortable ride ever. Thankfully I took my father's advice and we left early in the morning- 4 AM early.

For kicks, we decided to take sporatic photos of the time and the temperature as we cruised along I-75 southbound. (Mostly when someone was wake and not driving to take them.) The ride was nice and cool and with few cars on the road, made it an easy drive. We arrived home in just under 7 hours. A few bathroom breaks and a trip to McD's added a few minutes, but it was still a good fast drive.

For the first 4 hours or so, the temperatures hovered between 72-76. Keep in mind that this would have been around the 4:30-8:30 AM time slot. Despite what the first photo says- it was taken on the gravel parking area of CB and SP's house- the starting temp was 72 when we hit the Connector.

It finally started feeling a little hot around High Springs/ Lake City, FL when the temps were in the mid 80's- steady and rising.

We pulled into Tampa as the thermometer flirted on and off with 90 and the dark clouds were rolling in for a morning shower.

Ah, Florida.









No comments: