Saturday, July 18, 2009

Grumpy makes Apple Chiffon Cake

I'm really bored tonite. Having wasted my day sitting on the phone, I've been in a grumpy mood this evening. I decided to bake a cake. Who does that?

Oh, I'm bored, let me bake a cake?!

I do and did.

Currently sitting in the oven for the next hour is an Apple Chiffon Cake. I wanted to make a lemon one, but we have no lemons and I figured it wasn't worth the gas money to go and get some. Gas in T-town is running about $2.40 right now. I think I'll get into some cleaning while it bakes.

Here's the recipe that I pulled from AllRecipes. Review to come later of course! Directions


Ingredients

  • 6 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups cake flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 cup applesauce
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar until soft moist peaks are formed. Gradually add the white sugar and beat until very stiff and shiny.
  3. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon together. Blend in the brown sugar.
  4. Beat together until smooth the vegetable oil, egg yolks, and applesauce. Add to the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Fold batter into the beaten egg whites. Pour batter into one 10 inch ungreased tube pan.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 65 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert and cool in pan. When cake is cool loosen edges and remove cake from pan.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Chiffon-Cake/Detail.aspx

No comments: